Saturday 6 September 2014

design decisions - sorted

Whilst lying here in bits waiting for Jonathan to do his magic and put me back together and make me as good (no better) than new, I've been thinking about some of the changes needed to make sure I am in a fit state for this insane adventure I seem to have been conscripted into.

Some of the challenges we (I) need to address is the range on a tank of petrol.  My standard tank is 6.5 gallons and if I get the best mpg possible I may just about squeeze 280 miles out of a tank but that assumes good roads and not that much weight for me to carry.  If any of you reading this know Matt then you know I'm on a hiding to nothing there trying to reduce weight then. 

Anyway even if I could get the most out of a tank and install a 9.5 gallon tank which is the biggest standard tank we can get I don't think we would have enough range for some of the countries where petrol stations are few and far between, so additional capacity is required.  What's the problem, take jerry cans I hear you say, but have you any idea how awkward these things are?  So, what's the solution you ask.  A bloody great big tank I say.  Where the hell are you going to put that you say.  Ah ha! I say using a cunning plan I have worked out how to install a tank that will give me a range of around 1,100 miles at 30mpg.  Bloody hell I hear you say how have you done that?

Well, given that there's only going to be Matt and Sarah the plan was always going to be to fold away the back seat and use my full capacity for carrying 'stuff'.  And there is the solution.  Put a tank where the back seat is and use that space for a sodding great big tank!

So, in order to install a large, very large, capacity tank whilst also having loads of storage for everything we (well Matt and Sarah) are going to need to take I (yes, I) have come up with this cunning design and so the Overland Traveller is born.

Albert's overland interior
 The petrol tank sits underneath a raised floor which creates an additional storage area for a second spare wheel.  A standard petrol tank base will replace the old petrol tank creating a storage area for tools.  One spare wheel, the jack and some spares will be stored in the original void below the floor.  A second floor going the length of the car creates a base for the main storage area.  A bulkhead separates the storage from the 'cab' and is used to create a storage area that can have shelves for smaller items such as food, cooking utensils etc.  The larger storage area at the rear will be used for large items.

Petrol tank mock up fitted and size verified as OK
Paul and Matt visited recently and mocked up the petrol tank to make sure it goes in and to check the measurements Matt took using Carl's traveller.  It seems he didn't screw it up all together and the idea works OK although it does look like it takes up loads of room you will be surprised that once I get put back together you won't even notice the space it takes up.

 Paul's going to make the tank for me and Carl says he's happy to do the interior woodwork so once Mark has finished knocking me about and I can get painted, Jonathan can put me back together again. 

I hope everyone has received an invite to our first fundraising event in January and that I'll see you all there.  So put the 24th in you diaries now and be at the Coach House, Potton at 12 o'clock when all the fun starts.  See you then

No comments:

Post a Comment